January 28, 2015

Review: When by Victoria Laurie


Title: When
Author: Victoria Laurie
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release date: January 13th 2015
Source: Netgalley
Format: eARC

Rating: 4/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N
Maddie Fynn is a shy high school junior, cursed with an eerie intuitive ability: she sees a series of unique digits hovering above the foreheads of each person she encounters. Her earliest memories are marked by these numbers, but it takes her father’s premature death for Maddie and her family to realize that these mysterious digits are actually death dates, and just like birthdays, everyone has one.

Forced by her alcoholic mother to use her ability to make extra money, Maddie identifies the quickly approaching death date of one client's young son, but because her ability only allows her to see the when and not the how, she’s unable to offer any more insight. When the boy goes missing on that exact date, law enforcement turns to Maddie.

Soon, Maddie is entangled in a homicide investigation, and more young people disappear and are later found murdered. A suspect for the investigation, a target for the murderer, and attracting the attentions of a mysterious young admirer who may be connected to it all, Maddie's whole existence is about to be turned upside down. Can she right things before it's too late?

I really liked the idea of this book, about a main character that has a really creepy paranormal gift...I´m in!.

Maddie is a young girl and all her life she had been able to see the date on which a person is going to die, so that´s why her mother has recently decided to profit from her "gift" and charge for telling their death date to clients. And everything is going well until she tells a client the date of death of her son, which is within a week, so the client gets upset and she has an argument with Maddie because she´s trying to convince her that what she´s saying is the truth .. .that her son will die soon; so when a week later her son disappears, Maddie becomes the prime suspect.

There are a couple of pretty irksome FBI agents, they´re almost certain that Maddie is responsible for the boy's death and are constantly harassing her. So when someone else dies in a similar way to the boy and said victim is someone Maddie knows, she´s in a bigger problem.

Maddie is a good character and I really I liked her best friend Stubby, because he believes in her gift, is a really good friend and wholeheartedly supports her. But for those that like romance in the books, there wasn’t any romance in it.

Overall, When is a good thriller where you´re never sure, who is the killer, because at some point of the story I had my doubts of several characters and it also has some interesting plot twists. It has a good ending with the loose ends all tied up. I really enjoyed it!

6 comments:

  1. Yes I read that a few weeks ago and I enjoyed it as well. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read! I usually like books with some romance in it, but if the storyline is done well without it, I definitely don't mind. :) I'll add this book to my tbr!

    Melissa @ The Reader and the Chef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. The premise sounds amazing and a good thriller is always a positive.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually pretty surprised that I enjoyed this one. Considering there's so little romance in here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The synopsis and cover both intrigue me. Glad to read that you enjoyed it. I think I recall seeing it on NetGalley but it wasn't available to the UK I believe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a pretty good read! I don't think I will pick it up because there is a favourite trilogy of mine called Numbers by Rachel Ward and I know I would find myself constantly comparing them because the main character also has the ability to see death dates and feel their method of death.

    ReplyDelete