July 21, 2015

Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created bThe Broke and the Bookish

Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters
Example: features minority/religious minority, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC,  neurotypical character, LGBTQ, etc.
(in no particular order)

These are the diverse books that I´ve read so far, I definitely need to read more diverse books.

Non-Caucasian Protagonists
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa: The main character of the series Allison Sekemoto is Asian. I really loved this trilogy.
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1) by Rae Carson: The main character of the series, Elisa has overweight and has dark skin.
Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu : Day´s main ethnicity is Mongolian.

How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski : I read this book a long time ago, but if I remember correctly Rosalita is Italian/Mexican.

LGBTQ
Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan 
Proxy (Proxy #1) by Alex London
Far From You by Tess Sharpe

Made of Stars by Kelley York 

Disabled Main Character

I seriously couldn´t remember a lot YA books with a main character with a disability, this one was the only one I could remember after, I stare my computer for a while.

Simone Elkeles also have a trilogy with Mexican-born male leads.

Disfigured Main Character
Again, I had to search in the listopia on goodreads to find a book that I had read that apply to the criteria.

What are your favorite books so far this year?
Leave me your link in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea that Rae Carson's books featured diverse character! I will definitely be putting that one higher on my TBR!

    Great list!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one of these I've read is Leaving Paradise. Of course, I own all the rest of them, but haven't gotten to them yet. Hopefully, I will! Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list. Two Boys Kissing made my list as well! I just read that over the weekend and it was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. Here is my top ten: http://www.bookbinges.blogspot.it/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-diverse-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd heard about Far From You, but I didn't know anything about it. I'm adding it to my TBR right now. Great list and happy reading. If you're interested, here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I've loved all the David Levithan I've read so far so I really want to read Two Boys Kissing! Seen it on a lot of TTTs today so it's moving up a few notches on my tbr pile!

    Check out my Top Ten here!

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's time to re-read Leaving Paradise. It's been such a long time!

    ReplyDelete